- Music is your choice; there is no required repertoire for our festivals. The music should be challenging enough to make this an experience through which the groups will grow, improve, and mature.
Can we perform an original piece?
- Yes, but be sure each judge receives a numbered score.
Can I give the judges copied scores?
- We strongly encourage you bring original scores. The scores are being used for educational purposes, so you can bring copies, but only if absolutely necessary. If you do bring copies, please leave them with the judges and Great East Festivals will destroy/shred them.
The piece my group is performing is no longer in print and I can’t get scores. What do I do?
- A copied score is acceptable provided a note from the publisher is included with the scores for the judges stating the piece is no longer in print.
What do I need for the judges?
- On your arrival, you should hand the coordinator two (2) packets; each packet should include:
- Program Order: list the pieces the group will perform and give a brief background of your group;
- Scores: measures should be numbered to allow the judges to be specific with their comments and suggestions.
Will I receive a copy of the score sheets?
- Yes. After your performance, you will receive score sheets, recorded comments, and a rating plaque.
What do we do with cases?
- Cases are not allowed in any of the schools, and must be left on the buses. If the weather is questionable, the coordinator may use their discretion with orchestra cases.
Are we coming back to the warm up room; can we leave our things there?
- Unless you are the last group of the day, you will not return to the warm up room.
What time should we arrive at our performance site?
- Approximately 30 minutes prior to your warm up time. Please arrive on time, or ahead of the suggested time, so your group can unload and prepare for their performance in a relaxed, organized manner.
Can we arrive early, or stay after our performance, to listen to other groups?
- Absolutely! We encourage all our groups to listen to their peers perform.
What happens if our group is late?
- If your group arrives late, Great East Music Festivals reserves the right to change your performance time to fit the schedule. Your group may have to forfeit their warm up time and/or cut a number to conform with the schedule. Groups that are on site will be allowed to perform at their scheduled time.
Do the festivals run on time?
- Barring any unforeseen circumstances (fire drill, traffic, weather, etc.), our festivals normally run on time.
Can our group performance order be changed when we arrive on site?
- No. All materials the judges will need have been prepared in performance order.
Should I have a set up crew?
- A set up crew and a seating chart are helpful. Your set up crew and percussion section should be ready to set the performance area for your group. Time is precious; it will be beneficial for set up crew to be efficient and well-organized.
How much warm up time is allowed?
- When warm up and performance are in different rooms: Roughly 20 minutes – Your group will have ample travel time as well as 5 minutes for set up. NO TUNING IN THE PERFORMANCE AREA.
- When warm up and performance are in the same room: Vocal groups – 10 minutes; instrumental groups – 15 minutes (arranging stands, chairs, equipment).
How long is our performance time?
- This can fluctuate slightly, but in general:
- Choral groups and Jazz Ensembles get 25 minutes on stage.
- Instrumental groups get 30 minutes on stage.
- These times include set up, performance, and the clinic.
Is there a clinic after our performance?
- Yes. Your group should remain in the performance area. A judge will join your group for a clinic.
What happens after our performance and clinic?
- After your performance and clinic, you will receive a rating plaque. Your group(s) may listen to other groups perform or leave for the park.
- Music stands
- A full set of timpani (4)
- A concert bass drum
- Acoustic or electric piano
- Choral risers
- Unless otherwise noted, most large mallet instruments will be available (Marimba, Xylo, Vibes)
What equipment is not provided at each site?
- Electrical equipment
- Sound systems
- Cassette/CD players
- Smaller percussion such as snare drums, cymbals, sticks, etc.
What do I do if equipment I need is not provided at the performance site?
- If your performance requires equipment other than listed, plan to bring it with you.
Can I contact the host for additional equipment?
- Please ask the staff at Great East Music Festivals. It is easier for only one person to be interacting with all of the hosts.
I have a large group. Should I bring extra stands or risers?
- Large instrumental ensembles should bring extra stands. Large choral groups may want to bring extra risers.
What else do I need for a stress-free performance?
- Percussionists must bring sticks and mallets, snare drums and stands, all accessories and any other needs for their performance.
- Make sure students remember to bring their mouthpieces.
- You must arrive on site with music for all your students. Copiers are not available at performance site.
How are number changes made?
- The easiest way to make a number change is by email; however, you mail also fax or use snail-mail.
Can I add to my numbers after the deadline date?
- You can always increase your numbers after the deadline date; you MAY NOT decrease after that date. Numbers may also be increased on site. If you contact our office to increase your numbers, you may not drop them when you arrive on site: all number changes made after the deadline date are final.
What are the deadline dates?
- You are financially responsible for all participants that appear on your statement. This includes the cancellation of a group. Please honor the deadline dates:
- Group Cancellation: March 1st ($250 fee per group after this date)
- Date/Venue Change: March 1st ($75 fee per group after this date)
- Schedule Change: March 1st ($50 per group after this date)
- Final Number Change (Student or Adult): 30 days prior to your performance date (1/2 the per person fee after this date)
How do I know you received my number change or cancellation?
- Number changes and/or cancellations are not considered official until you receive a confirmation from our office. If you do not receive a confirmation notice within ten (10) days, it is your responsibility to contact our office.
Participant and Ticket Information
If I have students performing in more than one group, do they pay only one fee?
- Yes, they pay only one participation fee; be sure your numbers indicate the total number of performers.
I have students who can do the festival only or park only. Is the fee different?
- Yes; check your invoice for pricing and make the necessary adjustments.
- Festival and Park: student will participate in the festival and go to the park.
- Festival Only: student will participate in the festival only; NO park (or may have a season pass to the park); reduced price.
- Park Only: student will not participate in the festival; WILL go to the park; reduced price.
How many complimentary tickets do I get?
- Complimentary tickets are based on the number of paid performers and at the discretion of Great East Music Festivals. A minimum of two complimentary tickets will be given to schools with more than 30 paid performers. Any other adults traveling with the group must pay the adult rate and should be included in the count for adults.
- Adults: DO NOT include in the comp ticket count; you ARE charged for these.
- Comps: Complimentary tickets at no charge; normally used by the director(s); Great East Music Festivals may change your comps based on your final numbers.
How do I get my tickets?
- Tickets will be given to the director at the performance site by the site coordinator. Tickets must be counted and signed for before leaving the performance site. This may be done by the director or other responsible adult. If there is a problem, you must contact the Great East Music Festivals site coordinator immediately. Great East Music Festivals is not responsible for tickets once you have left the performance site.
My group would like to go to the park first (before performing). How do I get my tickets?
- If your account is paid in full, tickets can be mailed directly to you at school with enough notice; the request must be made by email. You will be charged for postage to have tickets mailed. Tickets may also be picked up at your performance site by a responsible adult.
Cancellation and Number Change Policy
What is the Cancellation and Number Change Policy?
- All number changes and/or cancellations must be made by the deadline dates indicated below:
- Number Changes (student or adult): 30 days prior to performance date
- Group Cancellation: March 1st ($250 per group after this date)
What is the refund policy for cancellations or number changes after the deadline date?
- No refunds will be given for cancellations (group or individual) received after the deadline dates. Great East Music Festivals reserves the right to charge a fee for any adjustments made after the deadline dates.
How are number changes made?
- Because of the number of groups we have during the festival season, please provide the following information when making number changes:
- Name of school and director
- Festival date and park
- Number change information
Will I receive a confirmation of a cancellation or number changes?
- Yes. Number changes and cancellations are not considered official until you receive a confirmation from our office. If you do not receive a confirmation within ten (10) days, it is your responsibility to contact our office.
- No, the registration fee is a one time, non-refundable fee and is not considered a deposit or credit on your account. The fee per person is in addition to the registration fee.
Will I receive an invoice for my balance due?
- Yes, you will receive an initial invoice with your registration information. When you make a payment or number change, you will receive a revised invoice.
When are payments due?
- February 15: first payment (1/2 of the balance due)
- 30 days prior to your festival date: final payment
What happens if I’m late with my payment?
- If your payment is late, Great East Music Festivals reserves the right to charge a 4% late fee on the balance due. If your payment is going to be late, please contact our office.
My school may be on vacation when a payment is due; what should I do?
- You must be aware of deadline dates to avoid a late fee; school vacations are not an acceptable excuse. **IMPORTANT** If your school office personnel are responsible for processing and mailing your payment, be sure they are aware of deadline dates. This is very important when number changes are involved. It’s not unusual for deadlines to be missed and late fees charged because paperwork or payments were on someone’s desk. A COPY OF THE INVOICE MUST BE INCLUDED WITH ALL PAYMENTS OR NUMBER CHANGES.
How are payments made?
- Payments may be made by check or by credit card.
When will I get my refund?
- Refunds are issued after the festival date.
Are checks from parents acceptable?
- We do not accept individual payments from parents. It must be a school check, bank check or money order. Your parents may not make checks payable to Great East Music Festivals.
- Six Flags New England
- May 5th, 12th, 19th: 10:30am – 8pm
- May 13th, 26th and June 2nd: 10:30am – 9pm
- Canobie Lake Park
- May 26th and June 2nd: 9am – 10pm
- Lake Compounce
- May 12th: 9am – 4pm
Is there a bus parking fee?
- The bus parking fee for the 2016 season at Six Flags was $25 per bus. There was not a bus parking fee at Canobie Lake Park in 2016.
Do bus drivers have to pay to get into the park?
- Bus drivers are admitted to the parks at no charge. They should report to Guest Services, show their CDL license, and inform the customer service rep which school they are with.
Are meal packages available?
- A meal package is offered through Six Flags. You will be billed through Six Flags. If you are interested in this option, please contact Jojo McCormick at jMcCormick@sftp.com
NOTE: Great East Music Festivals is not responsible for changes in park hours, parking fees, or park policy. All park hours are checked when the final information packet is prepared. We recommend you check the park’s website for any changes prior to your performance date.